Friday, February 1, 2008

A Sense of Humor

Being Dead Is No Excuse
I love cookbooks, in fact I had to have a long shelf put up in my kitchen to house some of my collection and I still can't fit them all up there. So one day when we were out and about and exploring a quaint little shop I found a wonderful little book with the intriguing title of Being Dead Is No Excuse -The Official Southern Ladies Guide To Hosting The Perfect Funeral by Gayden Metcalfe and Charlotte Hays. I just had to pick it up and see if the contents of the book was as entertaining as the title, I am pleased to say it is. There are tasteful traditional southern recipes, but also traditions that are followed when one is hosting a funeral in the south. The writers' ability to bring the characters to life in their storytelling made me feel like I knew them.

There are also tidbits of wisdom in this little book, such as "When planning or attending a funeral, one of the things to keep in mind is: Unlike the dead person, you will awaken and rise in the morning. You don't want to have been so bad you wish you could switch places with the deceased." They also explain the need of polishing the silver is not only to ensure that it sparkles for the reception, but it also serves as a southern woman's therapy.

Needless to say this little volume has joined the others on my shelf, however, instead of just seeing the spine, I have displayed it so all can read the title and get a chuckle. Even if you have never been south of the Mason-Dixon line you will find this a very amusing book.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aaahhhhh!!!! That's GREAT!! I read the first few pages and they were so funny.......not to mention that the recipes looked delicious!!!!!!