Saturday, February 16, 2008

The Jefferson Hotel- Richmond

When reading through this month's Southern Lady magazine I received an unexpected gift. This month's issue visited Richmond, Virginia, and while there the writer stayed at "The Jefferson." This hotel holds happy memories for us. We have stayed there several times but we also held my son's dedication brunch there.

The lower lobby to the Jefferson Hotel

Just about the time that David was born our friend and Pastor was leaving our church to pastor a church in Richmond. We didn't have the strong friendship with the new pastor and wanted to have Pastor John perform the dedication service for our son. So we made arrangements to hold the service at his church in Richmond and I am very glad we did. Everything about the weekend was lovely. The church was an old Baptist church with lots of character, Pastor John really did a wonderful job. Also Rich sang, after much choking up. We chose the song "I Want To Be Just Like You" by Phillips, Craig and Dean. As you can see by the lyrics this is a wonderfully fitting song for a baby dedication, since as parents we are really dedicating ourselves in raising this child for the Lord. Even the line in the song about a bear named Pooh was very appropriate, since we had decorated his room as the Hundred Acre Woods.

I Want To Be Just Like You


Phillips, Craig & Dean
He climbs in my lap for a goodnight hug
He calls me Dad and I call him Bub
With his faded old pillow and a bear named Pooh
He snuggles up close and says, "I want to be like you"
I tuck him in bed and I kiss him goodnight
Trippin' over the toys as I turn out the light
And I whisper a prayer that someday he'll see
He's got a father in God 'cause he's seen Jesus in me

Lord, I want to be just like You
'Cause he wants to be just like me
I want to be a holy example
For his innocent eyes to see
Help me be a living Bible, Lord
That my little boy can read
I want to be just like You
'Cause he wants to be like me

I've got to admit I've got so far to go
Make so many mistakes and I'm sure that You know
Sometimes it seems no matter how hard I try
With all the pressures in life I just can't get it all right
But I'm trying so hard to learn from the best
Being patient and kind, filled with Your tenderness
'Cause I know that he'll learn from the things that he sees
And the Jesus he finds will be the Jesus in me

Right now from where he stands I may seem mighty tall
But it's only 'cause I'm learning from the best Father of them all

Upper lobby of the Jefferson Hotel

Following the service we had made arrangements at The Jefferson for brunch for our guests. This was our thank you since our guests had traveled the hour and a half to participate in our special day. The food was first rate. For Sunday brunches they clear out the lower lobby and along the sides have tables set up with chefs that cook the food to your request. The staircase that leads from the upper and lower lobbies was one of the staircases that was used as the inspiration for the famous scene of Rhett and Scarlett's house in Gone With The Wind.

We spent that night at the hotel and found the accomodations in the guest suites were as elegant and inviting as the lobbies below.

Anyone visiting the Richmond area should include a stay at The Jefferson. Since the hotel is right in the heart of Richmond there are many sights that are within walking distance.

No comments: