Friday, June 6, 2008

I Am The Older Woman

I knew the time would come when I would be the older woman. But, it came upon me unawares. Titus 2:1–5 tells us “But as for you, speak the things which are proper for sound doctrine: that the older men be sober, reverent, temperate, sound in faith, in love, in patience; the older women likewise, that they be reverent in behavior, not slanderers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things—that they admonish the young women to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, homemakers, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be blasphemed.”

As a young bride I was privileged to learn many lessons at the table and homes of many godly women. Joanie Barb taught that it's not a spotless home that we should be concerned with, but enjoying the privilege to entertain unexpected guests. Sandy Nixon taught me the gracious way to smooth a difficult situation as the invited guests sit down to a meal prepared for them and you find out that one guest has forgotten to inform you that they are a vegetarian. Another lady taught me to keep my child's outgrown highchair, toys and playpen in order to entertain families with young children. I am still being taught continually by many Christian women around me.

I have been enjoying passing on some of what I have learned in my 22 years of marriage to a wonderful young newlywed. She has more wisdom then I had at her age but I can still pass on our journey from newlyweds and the many compromises and lessons learned along the way. I'm sure our friend Peg is also taking this role of passing along help to this loving woman.

This is our calling as Christian women. Rich and I have found that our tastes in food, music and movies is so much like theirs that it is a joy to spend time with this couple. So even as we are giving we are receiving so much in return.

No comments: