Tuesday, January 15, 2008

What Is A Blog?

When our friends were over the other night one of our friends asked "what is a blog and why do people do it?" This is a simple and complex set of questions. A blog is a weblog (simple) but the essence of a blog is so much more. In fact, as I explained to her, it is anything you want it to be (complex).

I have found blogs that have only recipes, blogs about political issues, photograph blogs, or they can be like mine—a mix of a who I am.

I am a Christian, wife, mother, photographer, sister and friend with interests that cover all these areas in my life plus more. I have experience that was learned the hard way. One of my hopes is to help others who may be starting on the same journey to learn from my mistakes and successes.

I love that this is a non-threatening way to learn from and also help others. Often if a friend or relative gives advice and it hasn't worked for me the comment may follow with "you just didn't do it long enough" or "you must not have done it right." Because it worked so well in their life it must work for everyone—NOT.

I hear this from others when I check their blogs. I enjoy seeing the creativity that is out there that otherwise would go without notice. But also many of the blogs that I visit have younger children and I love being reminded of those times.

So ... my question to you is, do you have a blog and if so why do you blog? If you only read blogs, what are you looking for in a blog? I thought I would ask others so I could let my friend know why others blog.

5 comments:

Magistra Mommy said...

Hello there, Kim!

First of all, let me say I L-O-V-E the new look here- the picture of you and David is simply beautiful. Taken at the Renaissance Fair, I presume- your dress is gorgeous!

Now, to answer your questions:

1. Yes, I have a blog.
2. Why do I blog? Somedays I ask myself that very question (LOL) especially when I receive a snarky comment or two. My justification is this:

I blog to share the joy of homemaking with other ladies and to demonstrate the beauty of God's plan for Biblical womanhood. I also blog to let women know that they should be well-read and continually educating themselves in the things of God. I also blog to keep my friends and family up-to-date with the daily happenings of our family. There are other reasons too, but none as important as these.

I have really, really enjoyed getting to know you better through reading your blog. Continue to bring Him glory through sharing your writings here! :o)

Qtpies7 said...

I blog for fun. I thought to start with a sort of diary, and then I started reading blogs and decided I wanted readers. Then I wanted comments.
I never thought I would be going that direction, but I love entertaining people, helping people, being encouraged myself. I have made friends that I enjoy so much.
I also like to have an outlet to get things out of my system. Only so many times can I tell my husband about the toddler issues before he doesn't care anymore, lol. And I need a new audience for my stories, hehe.
(actually, my real life friends are big time readers/supporters of my blog)
My mom loves reading my blog and seeing what is going on in our lives. She isn't close enough to visit, so she keeps up with us this way.

I also love the contests and freebies and reviews I do.

Richard D said...

I have posted an answer, written by Camille Moffat, to your question at my blog. It is too long to submit as a comment, but you may read the full answer here.

Kelly @ The Barefoot Mama said...

First things first, as the lovely Mrs. Wilt revealed in her comment - that is you and David in your head photo! Oh Kim! What a GORGEOUS photo of a GORGEOUS lady and her equally as handsome son! I assumed it was a professional portrait of some actors, LOL! How fantastic!

Okay, that aside, LOL...

I blog because I love to be able to fellowship with other Christian women and glorify the blessed roles of mother, wife and godly woman that the Lord has bestowed upon all of us. I do confess that I sometimes get a little bit "unraveled" by technology in the way that I wish times were simpler...I love letter-writing, doing things by hand, etc. However, I much too much love the computer so a blog was just a natural extension of that, haha! I love to encourage others in their homemaking and stay-at-home-mommyness, and I absolutey find such joyful edification in reading other godly blogs, especially moms with older children (excites me for the years to come!) and women who are single and living for the glory of God. All walks of life trodded in Christ fascinate me. :o)

Great post, Kim!

Kelly @ The Barefoot Mama said...

P.S. Oh yeah, and it never hurts to continually update the friends and grandparents with hordes of MG pictures via the blog either. :o)