Monday, September 1, 2008

A Perfect Parent

John McCain's running mate is being condemned by many for this recent announcement issued by Sarah Palin and her husband Todd.

"We have been blessed with five wonderful children who we love with all our heart and mean everything to us. Our beautiful daughter Bristol came to us with news that as parents we knew would make her grow up faster than we had ever planned. As Bristol faces the responsibilities of adulthood, she knows she has our unconditional love and support."


Gov. Sarah Palin, husband Todd,
and daughter, Bristol
Several things struck me. First was that as a mom I know how hard it is when your child makes mistakes. No child is perfect and no parent is perfect. Many people will uphold the child's mistakes as a mar on the parents character. I have had this kind of judgment reigned down on me when my son has made bad choices. My son's bad choices are not always prompted by a lack of parental teaching or example. They are his bad choices made from his own sinful nature.

Second comes to my mind that if we are going to use this standard of judgment on parents maybe we should look to the Bible first. God created Adam and Eve and was the perfect father for them. He taught them right from wrong and was a perfect example. And guess what Adam and Eve did. They made a bad choice and sinned. If God's children aren't going to make perfect choices I know mine won't.

And the timing of this announcement coincides with the kick-off of the Liberty Godparent Home's baby bottle fundraiser. We had guests from the Godparent Home yesterday to meet and speak with our congregation. These young women find themselves in the same situation as Bristol Palin—only without the family support that Bristol has. I spoke to one of the young ladies yesterday that just gave birth to her little angel. She has taken responsibility for her actions and, even though she knows she has no family support and it will be hard on her own, she is raising her daughter. I am glad that the Godparent Home and other Christian homes are supporting her in completing her education and starting her on a path that allows her to parent her daughter. As our church's liaison with the Home, I am hoping to top the amount we raised last year for them.

My prayers are for Bristol Palin as she faces the world media at such a fragile time in her life.

1 comment:

Quirky Cottage Owners said...

Great post, Kim. I have had the shame of a child's bad choice heaped on me. It is hard sometimes not to think that I somehow failed as a mother at those times.

This will be an interesting political time. It's been a long time since so many people have had such strong opinions.

Stop by Quirky Cottage to pick up a well-deserved blogging award.
Rita