Thursday, July 17, 2008

An Unexpected Gift

Our friend Peg stopped by and brought us some homemade salad, some cucumbers and some flowers. I just love the look of fresh flowers around the house. They are a constant reminder to me of God's love of beauty and diversity.

Peg's flowers in our bathroom
Growing up we didn't have fresh flowers around the house. As a newly wed I read Edith Schaeffer's Hidden Art of Homemaking. My first attempt at bringing fresh flowers into our home was uncommented on until four days after the fact. As I was pulling the drooping flowers out of the arrangement Rich looked at me and said "They're real? They looked so perfect I thought they were fake." As the years flew by I must confess while I worked hard at making our home beautiful there were dry spells with no fresh flowers. Maybe it had something to do with me working and then our little bull-in-a-china-shop, David.

Now that I am home and David is older I have begun the practice again. In fact just the other night our friend Abigail mentioned that she loved that we always have fresh flowers in the house.

I also want David to grow up and enjoy what God has created and take time to acknowledge it. I also want him to see that it doesn't cost a fortune since many of our arrangements are from our yard, our friends or when they are half price at Kroger's (they still last between a week to a week and a half.)

3 comments:

Quirky Cottage Owners said...

Oooh, Kim, I love the green and black tile!!! I've always thought that fresh flowers was like putting on jewelry -- it's the finishing touch to complete a look. Those yellow flowers look great against that green tile.
Do you have a space to grow flowers?
Rita

Kim said...

I agree that fresh flowers complete a room. Yes, we have lots of room to grow flowers- my tiger lilies are blooming (a plant gift from Peg) and my red glad is in bloom.
I'm afraid I have more of a brown thumb rather then a green one. But I can always appreciate the beauty.

Rose of Sharon said...

They are very beautiful! How neat that you try to have fresh flowers in your home a lot. I always forget to do that. We don't have a lot that can be picked out of our yard, so it is not that easy for me. I am going to try to do it more, thanks for the idea! When the boys were little they always brought me little tiny bouquets of wild flowers they found in the field behind our house and I treasured those so much!

Hugs, Sharon