Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Every Morning Breakfast

Last week I made Sausage Stuffed Biscuit with Gravy from my Sandra Lee cookbook. After breakfast David asked if we could eat this every morning for breakfast. Of course, the answer was no. Then he requested that we eat it at least four times a week. So I made it again this morning to much acclaim.

Sausage Stuffed Biscuits with Gravy
  • 1 package (6-pack) brown and serve sausage patties
  • 2-1/4 cups baking mix (like Bisquick)
  • 3/4 cup milk, plus more for brushing
  • 6 tablespoons cheddar cheese, shredded
  • 1 package (2.64 oz) country gravy mix
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 2 cups water
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Line 6-muffin tin with liners.

In a medium skillet, brown sausage patties on both sides. Remove from skillet and reserve drippings. In a medium bowl, stir together baking mix and milk to a soft dough consistency. Divide dough into 12 equal pieces. Flatten dough into disks. Line the bottom of each muffin cup with one dough disk.

Place sausage patty on top of each disk and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of cheese. Top with another dough disk and press the edges together to seal. Repeat to make 6 stuffed biscuits. Brush tops of biscuits with milk and bake in preheated over for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown.

Meanwhile, over medium heat, add gravy mix and garlic powder to skillet with reserved drippings. Slowly whisk in water. Continue to stir until gravy thickens.
Remove Biscuits from the oven and cool for 5 minutes. Serve warm gravy over stuffed biscuits.

Mmmmmmm!
This is the way the recipe is given in Sandra Lee Semi-Homemade Cooking 3. But, I have found that my baking tin must be a little smaller so I buy the 8 pack sausage and make 16 dough disks instead of 12. So I end up with 8 biscuits.

I am planning to take this to our Easter Sunday fellowship at church (so Mrs. Wilt don't even think about it! LOL) I plan to make some sausage biscuits and another batch with bacon on the inside. I won't be making gravy since I don't think it would stay as tasty if not served fresh.

2 comments:

Sibyl said...

For your felowship at church, why not put your gravy in a crockpot and plug it in so it will keep the gravy hot. I have done that for other gatherings. Just a suggestion.

Sibyl

Kim said...

Sibyl-
What can I say but thanks. A crockpot had never crossed my mind but it was one of those "duh" moments when I read your comment.

I am going to take your suggestion and I know my husband is one that is glad for it.