Monday, January 5, 2009

Taking His Job Seriously

With my in-laws visiting for Christmas we planned to show them many sites around town. We wanted to show them the reasons we enjoy our town so much.

On the Saturday following Christmas we began the day at the community market. We went to a coffee shop and used book store.

We then headed to the old cemetery. There were over 600 wreathes layed on graves by Wreaths Across America. The wreaths are placed by volunteers on the headstones of our nation's fallen heroes. It was a beautiful site with the starkness of winter and the beautiful greenery of the wreathes. We were not alone at the cemetery, we must have seen at least 15 to 20 other visitors. I had planned the day with a picnic basket already packed in the car, so we pulled it out and enjoyed it on the hill overlooking the decorated graves. As we were enjoying our turkey sandwiches I saw a sight that sent me into a fit of laughter.

I had grown up hearing the postal service saying "Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds." But we saw a mailman that went even beyond this motto. Around the bend at the cemetery came a mail truck. I just had to get this image of him delivering Christmas bills to the dead. Now how many take their job that seriously? Ok, I know he was really just delivering to the on site museum but I still found it very funny.

3 comments:

Quirky Cottage Owners said...

Kim, I think stuff like that is funny, too. A mail truck in a cemetery -- I wonder if there are any Publisher Clearing House winners among them! Or, the only thing you can count on is death and taxes -- maybe they still are being taxed after death? I would laugh and laugh if I had seen that -- and my friends think I'm strange. Welcome to the club!
Rita

Rose of Sharon said...

Hey....long time no see! How are you Kim? Hope you had a great Christmas. What a cute post. That is funny seeing a mailman up there!

Happy 2009!

Sharon

Kim said...

Yes, Rich and I thought it was funny, but his parents didn't find it as funny.
I think they may need to collect taxes on the dead too if the government doesn't stop giving it away like they are!
Sharon, I have been checking in on you and have seen that you had a wonderful Christmas.